CCs Reflections

Just another global2.vic.edu.au site

WALT, WILF!

May29

In our Team, we discussed the below terms

WALT – We are Learning To…. (Learning Intention)

WILF –  What I’m Looking For (success criteria)…

TIB – This is Because…

We have decided to trial the above terms WALT,  WILF as opposed to Learning Intentions and Success Criteria, as we feel it is more child friendly.

We will see if this new terminology is successful by students’ ability to articulate the learning intention.

by posted under Uncategorized | 7 Comments »    

“WALT, WILF!”

1. June 12th, 2013 at 6:08 am      Reply Miss Vicki Ash Says:

Hi Cecile,

I used WALT and WILF model when I was teaching in the UK, they used it in every school I went to and were very strict about it’s implimentation. I did find it more student friendly especially when you used the actual phrasing. For example, when I said ‘We are learning to add fractions together’ rather than ‘Our learning Intention is to add fraction together’!

Idid however have trouble remembering the acronyms – and many of the higher levels only used the acronym. Which was okay sometimes but I thinkit’s important to use the correct wording everyday (they do it for every single lesson) because I think a lot of students though a Walt and a Wilf were things and didn’t really understand what they stood for.

I think its great the you are using the success criteria because I really struggled with the idea of only introducing the learning intention. To me they need to be introduced at the same time at a simple level then become more complex as students understand them more. It will be interesting to see if students can articulate whether they achieved the learning intention more successfully if they were specifically told what the teacher was looking for.

Vicki
    http://vickiash.global2.vic.edu.au/

• June 13th, 2013 at 1:07 am      Reply Cecile Claxton Says:

Thanks for your feedback Vicki. It was interesting to read that the schools you worked at in the UK also used these terms. I think being consistent with the terminology is important too, in order for students to become comfortable and familiar with the acronyms.

2. June 12th, 2013 at 6:18 am      Reply Miss A Says:

Cecile,

I have been lucky enough to incidentally hear and see your Media lessons. Not only are your lessons totally focussed on learning intentions but students are always well aware of what they will achieve at the end of the lesson.

I love the acronyms you and your team have used to better help you understand and determine the difference between ‘Learning Intentions’, ‘Success Criteria’ and ‘This is Because’. These terms are most definitely child-friendly, they are even ‘adult-friendly’, wish I knew about these earlier. These terms definitely make sense to me and make my understanding of the three different terms much better and clearer.

I can’t wait to hear about students success with the effects of your project!

3. July 17th, 2013 at 2:31 am      Reply Mrs Rebecca Gage Says:

Hi Cecile,

I have seen that your Learning Intentions have been made very explicit to the students. I’m wondering how you feel about writing these and if you think they have made a difference to the quality of your teaching?

Regards,

Rebecca

• August 7th, 2013 at 6:40 am      Reply Cecile Claxton Says:

Hi Bec,

I truly feel that making my learning intentions explicit has made a huge difference to the quality of my teaching. It keeps me super focussed in both the planning and implementing of my lessons. Having the learning intentions highly visible keeps the students and myself on task throughout the lesson. In addition, I am finding that incorporating the TIBThis is because gives students a greater understanding of why they’re learning what they’re learning – what the point of it all is and how it can be used to assist in their future. This is extrememly satisfying for me as a teacher because it reminds me of the bigger picture and the importance of helping students develop skills that will support them in the real world.
      Cheers,
      Cecile