CCs Reflections

Just another global2.vic.edu.au site

Action Research Reflection Questions

September26
  1. The main focus and purpose of this action research project was to investigate if the implementation of explicit learning intentions had an impact on student learning.
  2. The intended purpose was achieved. Student feedback was very positive. Students were able to clearly articulate what they were learning and why they were learning it. In many cases, students could also communicate how they could apply this learning to their lives now, and in the future.  Many students stated that having clear learning intentions and success criteria helped them to remain focussed and centred on the task at hand. One student noted, “it has helped me to plan out my work and not waste time.”  I observed a higher level of engagement when learning intentions and success criteria were provided compared to when they were not. I believe that this increased engagement directly related to students’ having a very clear understanding of the learning and expectations.
  3. From this research project, I have discovered just how important carefully framed learning intentions are to direct students’ attention to the learning, and how this can have such a positive impact on their learning. What I found most interesting about this project, however, was how focussed I became. Planning my lessons took deep thought and reflection as I considered just why I was teaching what I was teaching, what the purpose of it all was. By the time I came to present the lesson, I felt wholly prepared and confident. There was a real sense of purpose which I found empowering. Basically, like the children, I was more engaged and focused too.
  4. I would not consider any parts of the action research to pose problems but perhaps some small challenges. I did play around with the way I set out the Learning Intentions. There was a little bit of trial and error involved but all part of the learning journey.
  5.  I read a few of my colleagues’ blogs which I found very interesting and commented on a couple. Within my small PARTS team, we often sat together and shared ideas and asked advice on posts we were about to publish.
  6. I am grateful to be more blog savvy after this project, however, I still have a way to go. I had lots of trouble trying to upload photos and some of my posts were lost before publication. This taught me to always make a copy in word as backup. One of my future goals is to develop my blogging skills, and to start posting on class blogs about MEDIA.
  7. New professional needs that emerged from this project as stated above is to use blogging more to interact with students, teachers and parents.
  8. Initially, I was a little concerned about blogging and did encounter some problems. After some teething issues, I found the blog an excellent way of keeping a journal of my journey and receiving suggestions and feedback from other staff which helped to develop my learning/teaching. I also enjoyed reading other staff’s journeys. I felt that with the blogs, the considering evidence protocol was no longer necessary so I was fine with it being removed.
  9. I think the PARTS process was successful. All staff gained great insight from researching their PARTS questions and are now also familiar with blogging.
by posted under Uncategorized | 1 Comment »